Kafka on the Shore | Haruki Murakami | Thoughts

"Every one of us is losing something precious to us. Lost opportunities, lost possibilities, feelings we can never get back again. That's part of what it means to be alive."



Kafka on the Shore


This book is weird, and gets weirder with every chapter. Not to mention it is confusing as hell. Nonetheless, the book is beautiful. Not just nice & good, but beautiful and more than that. To be honest, I don't know how to describe it.

There's so much depth, so much tranquility, and yet so much disturbances. It has a character of its own that so smoothly blends into the being of each individual in the story. There's so many things one can gain from it, so many lessons one can learn.

The book is like a library - it has so many things to offer only if you look at the right place.
And yet again, there's more to it.

The book is like a sea - deep, calm, fierce, scary, and sometimes uncomfortable. And the reader is like the shore. You stay in contact with the sea, let the waves crash against you, but yet you can't reach it completely. 

And this is where my conflict with the book begins, in spite of loving it. There are so many questions that are left unanswered. While some of these answers can be derived from the other incidents, it is completely up to the reader to find them. And as for me, some answers I did find, and others not. I'm totally clueless about so many things in the book and that makes me mad. Even though I've theories of my own, it's not enough. Or maybe the answers are all there and I've just failed to understand them. I feel like Murakami has offered the freedom of imagination and has provided the opportunity for creating an individual perception. As much as I welcome this approach as a reader, I am, at the same time, tremendously angry with myself for not being able to understand the book in depth. Or may it's just the way the book is.

This is a book that I will go back to again. And everyone, I believe, should do too, at least once in their life.

Comments

Send in your review requests!

Name

Email *

Message *

On Instagram as @nested_bookworm