The Forest of Enchantments | Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni | Book Review

 "I couldn’t control what was done to me. But my response to it was in my control."

- Sita, The Forest of Enchantments



The Forest of Enchantments Book Review


I read this book back in June. Life (& exams) got in the way and I never got around to posting a review. And after almost two months, I don't think I remember enough to write a coherent book review. But, since good books are supposed to leave a long term impression, I guess I'll make my attempt. 



The Forest of Enchantments Book Description
The Forest of Enchantments Book Description (from Goodreads)


The Forest of Enchantments Book Review


Did the book leave any long lasting impression on me? It did, although not as long as Divakaruni's The Palace of Illusions had. Reframing the story of Ramayana from Sita's perspective, however, is not easy and requires diplomatic penmanship as much as a descriptive one. And the author succeeds in both. The book is photographic in its countenance and shifts the traditional focus of the epic and redraws the picture from Sita's eyes. I found the narrative as one that I already knew, except for a single instance (which I'll not discuss here because I found it as an element of surprise and divulging it might rob you of a potential confusion). Regardless of the pretty much the same narrative, I found myself thoroughly intrigued with Sita's narration and her portrayal of & reflection on the other female characters that adequately, albeit not entirely, provided another lens into their personas, relationships, and beyond. The book made me angry too - angry at the hypocritical patriarchal conformism that is so embedded within our social system and the feminine helplessness that it surrounds. Last but not the least, the book is an emotional ride. I cried - for the tragedy, for the sacrifice, and for the female vulnerability. I cried, too, for the strength of female resolve that the book emanated. True, I don't remember the details of the book but I remember the feeling of rage, despair, sorrow, & triumph. 




Comments

Send in your review requests!

Name

Email *

Message *

On Instagram as @nested_bookworm