Ruin and Rising | Shadow and Bone #3 | Leigh Bardugo | Book Review

“They had an ordinary life, full of ordinary things—if love can ever be called that.”


Ruin and Rising Book Review

Even before I started Ruin & Rising, I was in love with the series. So I guess I'm supposed to be a bit biased. But, to be particularly honest, I have some mixed feelings for this book. 


It started out well enough, although a bit slow. We got a few new characters, some new threats, a bit of comic relief, some romance, and obviously, a new adventure. And as things started to get too good, a massive plot twist turned the pace of the book in an instant. And that was the moment that I REALLY started to enjoy the book. While I had anticipated some kind of twist, what actually came was totally shocking. 


The book is, once again like Siege and Storm, both predictable and not. If anything, the twists are more unexpected than ever. However, I'm not sure what to make of the ending. It felt a little rushed and a bit unrealistic (yes, even for fantasy). It was my "just why? and how?" moment of the entire S&B series. I was hoping for a different ending and was disappointed to get something else entirely. But looking back, I think I should've seen that coming. And after reading the last sentence, I made my peace with the ending. Now, I'm somewhat satisfied with it.


I don't think that I can discuss much about the book, even the characters, without causing some serious spoiler disaster. So the best way I can sum up is that, if you've read & enjoyed either or both of the previous books, then you should definitely finish the series.


It never ceases to amaze me how imaginative and picturesque these fantasy worlds can be. And what it takes to create such an exemplifying & elaborate fictional world where one can get lost for hours & days! I have the highest respect for those authors who can create a completely imaginary world that'd probably sound unrealistic in a normal, non-bookish conversation and turn them into a success & obsession for generations of readers worldwide. And Grishaverse is on its way to become one such creation, if not already, and whether you love it or hate it, that's a fact that you just have to accept. 



Comments

Send in your review requests!

Name

Email *

Message *

On Instagram as @nested_bookworm