The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo | Taylor Jenkins Reid | Book Review | Thoughts

 "The movie starts, and I marvel at how dynamic Evelyn is on-screen, how it is impossible to look at anything but her when she's there." - Monique Grant, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid


the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo Book Review

This book doesn't need a review anymore. Regardless, I'm going to share my opinion (that no one asked for).


I finally finished reading the book on a dull Sunday afternoon. I can't say that it was entirely unpredictable, for there were parts that I could see coming. And yet, the last 100 or so pages left me heartbroken and, more often than I'd like to confess, in tears.


The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo revolves around the fictional Hollywood icon & legend Evelyn Hugo and her glamorous & scandalous life, particularly her seven infamous marriages. What is revealed through the course of the book is the truth about Evelyn's forbidden romance - the one true love of her life. As Evelyn slowly opens up about the great tragedies of her life, her relationships with those around her, and her connection to the young talented journalist Monique, we can see the evolution of her career, including her ups & downs, endless ambition & explicit desperation that characterizes her intoxicating & powerful personality. 


Old Hollywood vibes dominate the book through & through, allowing the readers to sneak into a world of glamour & gossip of the silver-screen industry. Letting the readers inside the nuances of stardom, Reid unveils the world of sacrifices, desperation, and the price one has to pay to reach the peak.


Evelyn Hugo isn't just a character. She is a living consciousness hitchhiking the reader's mind with all her complexity, duality, love, hatred, ambition, and desperation. Even as simply a character, Evelyn Hugo is unforgettable. I read this book over the course of 2 months (not because it was boring but because I barely had the time or patience) and not for once did I feel disconnected from the story - with her. Whether it was 5 days or 15, whenever I came back to the book, it felt so natural as if I was meeting my best friend over the weekend. 


It was all Evelyn though. I didn't feel particularly attached to Monique. Evelyn's presence blurred any other. Truly. Perhaps this is what Monique talks about in the end. Evelyn's ability to catch & hold attention permeates through each page, sometimes allusive and sometimes all-encompassing & prominent.


While I appreciate the strong & impactful social & political nuances & significance of the plot, what mesmerizes me the most is the writing. Evelyn isn't the most agreeable or likable character at all, but she is probably the most real & vivid one I've read so far. To make a character feel so real & authentic, and to make a character not much agreeable but yet so respected & lovable is a thing I've so rarely come across as a reader. 


I love the writing more than I love the story. And so I love Evelyn more than I love the book. 


P.S. This book made me sit & write my thoughts down, a thing that I haven't felt like doing in a year or so.


Comments

Send in your review requests!

Name

Email *

Message *

On Instagram as @nested_bookworm